Farming Operations Manager
Company Overview:GenCanna Global, Inc., headquartered in Winchester, KY, is an agricultural business company focused on growing and processing industrial hemp crops to produce quality food ingredients. Agriculture, innovation, wellness and social responsibility combine to form the roots of our corporate culture. As part of the GenCanna team, our employees experience much more than a rewarding career. In addition to working in an environment that nurtures professional development, our employees participate in personal growth through philanthropic initiatives and community engagement.
GenCanna currently has an open position for full-time Western Kentucky Farming Operations Manager. The Western Kentucky Farming Operations Manager will work for and support the Director of Farming, Director of Greenhouse, Farm Operations QA/QC manager and Regional Grower Representatives in the area of supporting the preparation for the 2019 Growing Season.
- Oversee and lead the timely planning, organizing and execution of crop production
- Assists with crop production planning throughout year.
- Coordinate, plan, communicate and problem solve with regard to Grain Storage, Facilities and Equipment, Transportation, Input Purchasing, Production Technology and Crop Sales.
- Take the lead with all field workers during planting, tillage, spraying and harvesting.
- Oversee the hiring, training, coaching and evaluation of all operations employees.
- Responsible for all reports, data entry and documentation in a timely manner.
- Staying up-to-date on applicable USDA and FDA regulations, and OSHA standards, and ensures the implementation of them with team members.
- Assists in the forecasting and auditing of departmental budgets by reviewing spending and implementing cost and quality effective budgeting strategies.
- Maintains and improves machines and tools, interfaces with Plant Manager and Facilities Maintenance to ensure proper cleaning, maintenance of machines and tools.
- Cooperates and assists Inventory Control and Warehouse teams in maintaining accurate inventories by performing accurate daily cycle counts and Leads physical inventories in area of responsibility.
- Demonstrates initiative and follow-through in building maintenance and security.
- Trains team members in proper use of tools and machines, etc.
- Identify, quantify, and resolve problems quickly and permanently Strives for excellence in department systems, processes, paperwork, quality and output.
- Establishes procedures and methods and delegates their implementation leads and other hourly employees.
- Communicates and motivates employees in corporate culture and philosophies.
- Trains employees in quality objectives and techniques. Develop, implement and monitors the results of quality in keeping with company objectives.
- Enforces company policies.
- Communicates goals and progress to staff.
- Assesses work behaviors and work environment to ensure safe working conditions. Increases safety awareness, supports and implements safety projects and teams.
- Responsible for personnel management, planning labor needs, and related budgeting.
- Manage the design, implementation and scaling of irrigation, harvest, plant propagation and field systems for 1800 acres in 2019.
- Manage facilities, maintenance, irrigation and farming to ensure all goals are met, corrective actions are implemented, and projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Predicts and resolves operational bottlenecks, as well as equipment, supply and tool shortages.
- Maintains and improves site safety standards at all times.
- Responsible for sustaining and contributing to Operational Excellence strategies and assisting with the development of best-practices.
- Negotiates agreements and terms with farm vendors/contractors, nurturing key relationships throughout the supply chain. This position does not involve infrastructure build-out or accompanying project management.
- Assists with development of the annual budget as well as periodic forecasts related to key financial data such as revenue, cost of goods sold, inventory, purchases, obsolescence, and transportation.
- Develops metrics to forecast yields, planting timeline and harvest timeline.
Other Expectations Ability to lead by example and facilitate collaboration with all team members, on farm and other business departments. Ideal candidate would be familiar with GMP, GAP, USDA Organic, Zero Waste Philosophy and OSHA Guidelines. Background with soil science, field management, plant genetics, pest management and irrigation strongly preferred. Minimum Qualifications Bachelor?s Degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and related work experience in agriculture. Agricultural Business, Agronomics or Agricultural Production Management degree strongly preferred. Minimum 5 years of leadership background managing teams of 20 or more. 5+ years of high value or row crop growing experience on a minimum of 100 acres. High attention to detail, ability to multi-task and demonstrated ability to resolve complex problems and ensure critical deadlines are met. Proven experience scaling agricultural operations. Excellent communication (written and oral) and math skills. Strong attention to detail and willingness to learn new things. Excellent PC and technical skills (Microsoft and Google Suite), including strong background in analytical spreadsheet applications and project management software.
To Apply for this position:
Apply at https://gencanna.com/careers
Hickory, KY 42051